France was one country I couldn’t wait to explore.
I always had dreams about strolling down the little streets and popping into all the little cafes for a coffee and croissant, walking hand in hand with someone while we shop at the markets for different cheese and bread, having a picnic by the Eiffel Tower—blah blah blah. France was just this country that embodied romance for me. It wasn’t quite like that for me when I went, but now that I have Pete around, next time will be! Another one of my favorite romantic cities? Lisbon!
France photo diary
Look how beautiful these little apartments are? If I remember right these are right near Notre Dame. How FUN would it be to live here? They’re probably stupid expensive, but it’d be amazing for a little while!
Carvings at Notre Dame – I am always so amazed that people can actually do this. I can hardly draw an appropriately proportioned stick figure.
The main glass pyramid at the Louvre. There are three smaller ones off to the sides – these were designed by a Chinese-American architect and look super pretty at night when they’re all lit up.
#viewsfordays – this is one of the views from the Eiffel Tower.
I didn’t actually go to a show at the Moulin Rouge, but it probably would have been fun!
This little farmers market was a few hours somewhere outside of Paris, I think in a town called Beaune.
More Notre Dame – I couldn’t get over how pretty this place was. When I was there they were actually having a mass which was a really cool thing to witness.
FRANCE QUICK TIPS
- Don’t forget your passport (obvi) and visa if needed
- The Euro is the national currency
- Cheese and bread, cheese and bread, cheese and bread
- Best time to visit will be the summer, but that is the busiest and most expensive.
- Primary language is French so be a good traveler and learn a few basic words – hi, how are you, thank you, please etc. Contrary to what most people think, not that many French people speak English. Even if your French isn’t that good it’ll go a long way if you at least try a few words.
FRANCE BUCKET LIST
It’s a huge one!
- Aiguille du Midi – a nearly 13,000-foot mountain in the French Alps
- Carcassonne Walled City – a beautiful medieval city
- Chateau de Chenonceau
- Chateau de Versailles – the beautiful palace of Versailles
- Cimetiere du père Lachaise – the largest cemetery in Paris with 70,000 burial plots
- D-day beaches
- Giverny’s Monet Garden – Claude Monet’s house and garden
- Gorges du Verdon- river canyon in Southeast France
- Grotte De Lascaux- series of underground caves
- Louvre – obvi
- Mont Blanc – the highest mountain in the alps at almost 16,000 feet
- Mont St Michel- island commune in Normandy
- Pont du Gard- ancient Roman aqueduct
- Place a love lock on Pont des Arts bridge – because how sweet is this?
- See Moulin Rouge- where else are you gonna watch a real burlesque show?
- See Notre Dame – a beautiful cathedral in Paris
- See the Eiffel Tower – because you have to, especially at night!
- See the Mona Lisa- just to say you did
What’s on your France bucket list?
Has anyone been to France?
Comment below and let me know!